Thursday 11 January 2018

Crusader of Centy (Genesis)



We all know that Sega Genesis doesn't have many games that has saving feature like RPG or adventure genre. So most of its games either "finish it in one sitting" type or feature password. But there's few exception like Shadowrun, or Sword of Vermilion. Also Nextech's Crusader of Centy (1994) that i will review it today.  
Or in Europe version, it's called 'Soleil' that's French for sun/sunlight. While centy means 'cents' in Slovak. That's quite big difference title between USA version and Europe version. In my gaming history, i have never been a crusader. In Ragnarok Online i choose to become blacksmith, monk, and soul linker. The closest thing to be crusader: in little game of D&D, i become cleric. Not close enough, huh? That could be bad for upcoming playthrough. Anyway, let's start with narration first, shall we!
 
The game start with this narration about dark age and monsters creep around at that period. It tells about no light there. That's quite not true as you can see that there's some dim lights but that's not come from beautiful fireflies, no. They come from eyes of the savage monsters, for sure.
 
Then come a giant beam and Mr. Bean arrives to purge the earth from those monster. Not really, it illuminates the earth and monsters die because UV rays are lethal to them. So plants can grow and doing photosynthesis, animals live and humanity prosper.
 
Unsurprisingly, monsters aren't extinct. Now that they have developed sunblock DNA, they can roam the earth once again. You may think it's my fault that the narration doesn't have consistent center arrangement. But i believe i make wonderful job stitching the images. Except for merging, i leave the texts as they are in the screen. It's the game's fault, then.
 
The game then start with me in 14th birthday party. I was hoping Nintendo 3DS or PSVita for my present. But, no. I got shield and sword that's legacy from my late father. Also my mother there said that "It's this kingdom's law to arm 14 y.o. child and make him fight monsters in wilderness. That's harsh conscription, mother. By the way according to some review, the protagonist's official name: Corona. You may think i should name him Matahari (sun in Indonesian), but no. I settle with name of the famous Indonesian hand puppet: Unyil.
 
Yep. The first thing that i do with the sword: try to snatch the cake. As i have to somehow trigger the next event to allow me to progress the story and i already talk to everyone here. A few moment later there's firework outside that mark an official hero embarks on journey then my friend are all gone to see him. Good! The cake is all mine.
 
But, mom. The cake. Fine. I'll report to the king that i'm ready for duty. As we all know in most JRPG that king's castle is in north part of any town while the south is entrance/exit of it. So it's not hard to find the king.
There's the hero, his name is Amon. Broad shoulder. Wearing shining plate armor with gallant cape. Macho short hair. That's definitely a genuine hero. There's also the king as you can see there, sitting on throne. Somehow he has donkey's ears. Is he based on King Midas? 
 
That's right, ass ear king. I mean, your Excellency. Later  i'm allowed to train in Rafflesia training ground. I don't think that's fitting name for combat school.
Once i get out of Soleil Town (where i belong). There's this simple overworld map and Rafflesia school is just north from the town.
 
There's this cottage inside of training ground where an instructor lives. And he will teach me to throw my sword....if i pay him 20 coins! You're such corrupt bastard. I believe you're being paid to teach combat art to any student, by the king, right? And you still want more money in your pocket? Fine, greedy old geezer. I'll find the money.  
 
There's 3 course in this training ground: basic, intermediate, and expert. And at the end of each course lies a medal. If you manage to collect all 3 medals, the king will reward you with something great. Intermediate course needs me to able to jump and expert course needs me to able run faster. As i can't do any of that, i can only run basic course. Not many thing that i learn here: hit the switches with sword, pulverize stones with sword, cut the grass with sword, etc. All by pressing 'A' button. To be honest the slashing part is quite bad. As it doesn't cover entire 180o in front of me. There's always like 1 block/tile unslashed in my facing. Takes example of those boxes. The right ones left unharmed even though the slashing animation suggest that it's within slashing range.    
Ho, an actual combat section. To hell with slashing grasses and boxes for coins and apples (that replenish health)! I'm going to slay some monster even though i have bit terrible slashing move. My mom will be proud of me.
 
There's giant caterpillar and (endless spawning) fire bat. The caterpillar will roll out if i slash it but later dies because it goes to lava pool there. While the fire bat can be dealt with one slash. I think that's it for actual combat training.
 
The spiked green blocks roam in this obstacle. But none of them wander on that northern gap. So i can walk straight pass them there safely. What an idiot obstacle course.
 
Not long after that i got the medal. There's tables and chair that presumably for relaxing after passing the course or even throw a party. But i don't need any overcelebration moment. I got the money for that sword throwing lesson, time to head back to that old man.
 
After he taught sword throwing (by holding 'A' button for a moment and release it). I tested at him then he perished so i can recollect my coins. Muhahahahaha! Okay. The last part didn't happen as like in JRPG: NPC can't be killed by the player. It will be very satisfying if that happen.  
 
Another old man in town whining about his incapability to throw sword so he can goes to his sister in Dahlia Valley. I admit i don't find this 'crucial to progress story' event by myself. I have to see a walkthrough for this. Onward to Dahlia Valley! 
 
I don't remember that Link in Link to the Past is capable of vine climbing. So score +1 for Crusader of Centy over Link to the Past. Those holes spawn tiny green armadillos which are the enemies or i can assume them as the monsters. But they look quite adorable for monster unlike the ones in prologue.
Beyond that point, i found this poorly barred wall. After i throw sword at it, it sprout strong water torrent. So i messed around with poorly maintained dam and there's no warning sign to warn me. So it's not entirely my fault. The torrent drops me to a house which could be that old man sister's house. 
 
But she's not alone. there's wolf with vampire's cape while she is hiding in the fireplace. As the wolf couldn't makes her come out, he tries to eat me thus 1st boss battle ensues...already? That's way too soon. He bonks his own head to discharge orbiting stars and chicks (akin from cartoon) that somehow lethal to me. He doesn't have many health but the orbiting stuffs block my sword throw quite well. Stand next to him and slash him is certainly unsafe method to defeat him. So i have to wait for orbiting stuffs to expand that leaving gap large enough for my sword throw. He isn't so difficult but tricky to deal with.
 
First you underestimate me then you're swearing. Not only you're so vile but also stupid. I mean. If your victim hides in fireplace, why don't you try to ignite it so you can have cooked meal soon. The point is: you don't deserve to live longer, Mr. Wolf. Then the granny come out from her hiding and thanks me. She told me about the fortuneteller that warned her about the wolf and prophesize that i will come to rescue her. Then she told me to meet her in Plaza in town. That's where i heading next.
 
At the plaza (which is on west direction of residential area), i found the git, Billy who is supposed to be my annoying friend/rival. He said in training ground that he doesn't need to play around in Plaza but he does the otherwise and try to hide from me by putting Jack o' lantern pumpkin on his head. The idiot. Of course, i ignore him and focus on Wakasagihime there. She offers me max HP boost for 800 coins! Why you are so money grubber? I thought you have fair personality. Whatever, i go to the fortuneteller now.    
 
Good. Because asking money to progress story is so low. Oh, wait! Shadowrun does that. So what's my future lies up ahead? Or perhaps what i need to do next?
 
I will change the fate of the world? Bah! You delude me. My turn now. Let me read your palm, so i can read your "future"! Hey, where she goes? 
 
She's gone but this flower kindly tells me that she goes to Iris. So my next objective: go to Iris, then? I have no clue where's Iris. Perhaps my mother knows.
 
Mother! Please watch your language! Actually the fortuneteller put Hocus-Pocus on me so i can no longer talk to human but i can talk to animal and plant according to what she said. So i can talk to my pet dog, then?
Yes, indeed. Then he joins me. What can you do doggie?
 
Biting to immobilize the enemy? I was hoping you also can deal damage over time while biting but no. That times when you bite mailman don't pay off well. But it's quite acceptable. To makes him stay put and soon stop any enemy that comes with him, press 'C' button and press it again to make him follows you again. As i mentioned before that Crusader of Centy features game saving. It's 'SA/E' button there on top-right corner. It allow you to save the game including plot progress, health, and coins. But you will spawn in entrance of current stage where you save and the puzzle on it will reset. So i still rely on savestate.
 
I assume Iris is beyond Dahlia Valley. I met a rabbit that said if i want to progress beyond this point i need his help but he doesn't trust me because i'm human. Later Mac persuade him that i'm nice and such, so he's convinced to help me. Then he boots me to that floating stone which makes me can jump (by pressing 'B' button). Somehow Mac is floating near me even though he's not on solid ground. So i don't have to worry about  babysitting him.
 
There's a junction that leads me to Anemone Beach or Hot Daisy. Still no Iris in my sight. I went to Hot Daisy and i'm hindered by lava spring. So i supposed to go to Anemone Beach, first.
 
Oh, yeah?! I will tell Amy Rose that you're here. So she will ruin your vacation, Sonic. Yes, somehow there's Sonic The Hedgehog in Crusader of Centy-verse. Maybe Nextech really wants to give Sega credit for platforming this game.
 
Well this is more like it. Inside a village beyond spot where i found Sonic, i found animal-for-hire bureau that's managed by that goat. At this time, there's only cat that serves as one-time extra live for 50 coins. Shut up and take my money, kitty!
Once i went to north of the village, a flower tells me about 'crying for help' voice beyond that rock. But i can't push it away. Back to the village, then.
 
I found a hut with special door that can only open if i jump on entrance mat thrice. And inside of it there's this elephant. He might help me to get rid of that rock. But instead he teach me to lift heavy object (for free). The nice touch is: after telling me to try pick a board here, i can't do it at all. So i talk to him again and he say "Cast your doubt! You can do it" then i able to do it.
 
After i get rid of that rock, i can proceed further into these islands. There's gusts that alternately switch direction between left of right. And you can them to boost your jump further like what i do here. Whooooo!
 
After lots of jumping and venturing, i reach another boss battle. This time it's an octopus with spherical tentacles. He can not only swings his tentacles but also spits his iced child to me. Again, standing next to him and slashing around is bad idea. So i have to throw my sword carefully and rigorously. By the way, the plea comes from that penguin. But to me, he looks really calm for desperate hostage.
After the octopus perishes, the penguin is rescued and join the party. Welcome aboard, Chilly!
 
When i hold 'C' button Chilly will moves in front of me to presumably block enemy which is quite useless. But if i do sword throw, he immediately makes my sword icy, doubling its power and freezing the lava spring that i mentioned before. Cool! *Ba Dum Tssss!*
 
So far i assume Nextech makes original beautiful graphic here. But i doubt about this fire streams. they look like ripped from Bomberman game. I know you have same thought with me.
 
Beyond Hot Daisy is Burned Daisy which is a fire cavern maze stage. Later i found this over-cooked bird. I'm tempted to eat it but that makes chilly frowns, i believe.
 
After few jumping later, i found this green guy named Shuffler who is another boss stage. I think i know why his name is shuffler: he does shuffling everyday to the point of he becomes over-happy, judging by that wide grinning. 
 
Or because he can split him into 8 miniature of himself then shuffling among themselves. Hey, that's still count as shuffling. *Ba Dum Tssss!*. This boss battle is puzzle type. You have to hit the ones that frowns all the time to damage the boss otherwise you receive damage. The thing is it's like shell game. Instead with 3 or 4 cups, i have to choose between 8 target. And i'm weak at shell game. Memorization and careful observation don't mix well in my brain. 
 
Luckily, i can beat him quite easily as they don't shuffle very fast. The reward for winning this shell game is: a flying squirrel. He joined the party immediately.
 
There's 2 type of rare permanent item in Crusader of Centy: money bag that contain 50 coins and this golden apple that can permanently increase your max health. By the way, i'm in place called Iris. So i'm near the fortuneteller.
 
Cecil the flying squirrel can make my sword bouncing the wall and particularly useful for this section where my bouncing sword will hot those switches then lava river can flow, destroying those trees that prevent me from going further. By the way, the monsters are not always "resemble" animal for example green slime/glob and that creepy walking stump. It shoot slice of itself to hurt you which sounds quite brutal for this beautiful looking game.  
I found a small village (which consists 2 houses). As i can only talk to animal and plant, i can only make conversation with this pug. He doesn't like Amon who is arrogant and doesn't talk anything about the fortuneteller. Have to keep searching, then.
 
Oh, right. White flower. It's always useful to tell me about next objective. Inform me, buddy! You need 10 coins payment? Fine. There you go!
 
And where she gone to? I have to pay another 10 coins?! Alright. Alright. There!
 
WHY YOU! Give me back my money or i'll pluck then chokeslam you, seedy bastard! That's it i'm done.
 
But, wait! I finished the game several months ago. I figure you want to know the end. Especially there's this curious twist on it: The protagonist defeats these mystical beings that prevent the monsters to return to their homeworld, in the past. So in the end, i help the monsters. And yes. There's time traveling aspect here too.
 
Thus the monsters are vanished like they never been in this world at all. Also history changed significantly. For instance: my father is alive now. I can't believe him to be great warrior as he looks like glassed geek to me. There's also: Billy, the bitter friend turns nice, the harsh conscription law is all gone,...
 
...statue in the fountain change into Goddess of Peace instead of a warrior. Here's my theory: the fortuneteller is the Goddess of Peace. Because she makes me doing arduous journey along with animal companion. Also she keep insisting me throughout her revelation (as unseen speaker) in my journey that monster are innocent or not evil. But to this day, her argument are invalid as you can see how vile jerk that wolf and that octopus. Another proof that validates my theory is the resemblance between this statue and the fortuneteller. Yeah. Her statue is definitely taller. By the way i still can jump around but i can't talk to animal or plant anymore.
 
My most favorite part of the change: Amon is in prison instead of the monsters. This is quite relatable with "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain", i think. Now that i think about it: he's supposed to be my bitter rival in my journey. Because i encounter him many times. The most horrible thing he does: hurting me while i become a slime. So he deserves to be in jail.
 
To finish the game, i must bring Mac, talk to Alice and later take him a long walk outside of the town.  I have stitched her dialogues. Yes, it makes the moat wider but i don't care. From this dialogue, it seems she try to "hit" me. I assume Alice here is Alice Margatroid, as she's blonde. So this is my most favorite part in the ending.
 
Along the way, animal friends that accompanied me joins in. Yes, including that blue Nessy. But, sadly not all. I miss the cocky git: Leviathan. Perhaps because he's also a monster, so he is in monster's world. Wait! there's time paradox. I meet myself and soon there's huge explosion.
 
Not really, he's Won the raccoon dog/tanuki. He's the master of disguise, afterall. That's Crusader of Centy, everyone. Zelda clone of Sega Genesis. The musics are fantabulous. The graphics are cheery wonderful. But besides that aspects, it's not great. The guiding is either loose or badly lacking. It's stupid idea of me to have arrow pointer to show you where's the objectives but this game certainly need one. Or at least give more hints. Diligently asking NPC for story progress just ain't right. Also some stages makes me either circling around or meet lots of dead ends. In addition, there's another boss battle place on Burned Daisy but i can't engage it yet because i don't have the requirement animal's power to trigger. Why not making solid dead end there? Maybe the lack of guiding is relatable to how clueless the protagonist is. He's 14 y.o teen who is barely suitable for fate changing quest. On most stage, the game monotonously demands you to avoid hazard, jump gap, or kill enemy. Which makes the gameplay boring and tiring. Except for puzzle solving aspect. Most enemy only drops 1 coin, so you have to diligently grinding for money if you want to accumulate well numbered fortune. I thinks that's intended to live up "of Centy" part of the title. The apples are quite hard to find especially on latter stage. The cat's service, or golden apple certainly will help you on that problem. Also you get extra max health everytime you have defeated a boss. The combat is down to: always prepare for sword throwing everytime. Unless there's fast moving enemy that homing at me, so i have to resolve to slash it. Also there's aforementioned sword slashing problem. And shield is totally useless decoration. I prefer the protagonist wield the sword two-handedly. That way he may has better slashing move. Thankfully quite most of boss battle are puzzle bosses though you probably need walkthrough to know how to deal them. The story is convoluting and has lots of quite interesting cliché. So i can say it's certainly unique. The animal assistance are all great. I only wish that i can change their name except for the dog. I will name the penguin "Private" (Penguin of Madagascar) and the raccoon dog/tanuki "Mamizou". While "Cecile" is looks like the name of Final Fantasy 4's protagonist and that's not right.
The conclusion: Crusader of Centy is quite in same quality level of Zelda: Link to The Past. As i have never finished that latter game, i could be wrong. But you can get help from cat, Plesiosaurs and Leviathan, so i must be right. I can recommend you to play Crusader of Centy but with note: the combat is awful, use a walkthrough, and don't give any of your money to that white flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment